Friday 4 October 2013

Footpaths by Marion Densham


During our lovely summer this year, I spent a day walking part of the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path, which I’d not done previously. Despite a good map, book and leaflets, I became unsure of the way out of Milford Haven. I knew how important it was to follow the ‘Acorn’ signs, but they disappeared. Despite me seeing various footpath signs I felt sure I should wait for the Acorn one – but none appeared. Eventually I realised I ought to ask someone who had local knowledge and I was soon on the right track and, much further along the road, sure enough, the Acorn appeared!

This got me thinking about my Christian life and the times when I’ve come to a crossroads, or been unsure about a decision to make and I’ve valued sharing with a trusted friend or Pastor for their prayer and advice. Despite our map and guidebook (The Bible) and circumstances etc., sometimes it helps to check I out with a person who has ‘local’ knowledge, i.e. someone who has already walked that path or a wise person in God

“a wise man listens to advice”
(Proverbs 12:15)

I’m glad I asked for help that day, it saved me wasting more time following various dead ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment